Well, officially my second quilt is completed. I still have that cupcake one at home to finish…but that’s another story.
I have most likely read every tutorial for free motion quilting or if you are a grammar nerd, free-motion quilting that is on the internet. All tutorials that focused on beginners suggested/reccommended that you use the same color thread in the bottom as you do on the top. That is what I did on my first free motion quilt. But, I had multiple colors on this quilt top and the only place I had dark brown was on the bottom. So, I chose a tan or mocha thread for the top and a dark brown for the bottom.
Were the tutorials right? Yes, definitely. Would I have changed my plan…probably not. I knew I didn’t want such a dark brown thread on the top and I didn’t want a lighter color all over the chocolate brown. For the most part I am happy with the free-motion considering I was working on a vintage Singer 15-91. I managed to find a darning/embroidery foot and tried it out. I used several scraps and surprisingly I had no trouble. The biggest problem came when I tried to quilt a scrap quilt top, batting and the plush fabric. Not so good! So I chose not to use batting, an idea suggested to me by a quilter at my local shop-Quilter’s Cottage, here at the beach. It was a good decision because as it turns out, the quilt is already heavy.
I turned my loft area into a quilting space. I placed one of those big plastic tables over the daybed and moved the machine in front so that I would have some support for the weight. Lighting was then a factor, because the overhead light was now behind me. I took the top off the lamp and then I had plenty of light. Not exactly a beautiful studio…but it works.
One interesting thing that I observed while quilting this…the top thread almost seemed to change color depending on the fabric. On the dark brown linen it looked almost pink, on the pink (as in the above picture) it looked darker. On the outside tan/light brown border, you almost can’t see the quilting.
I chose not to quilt the center of each block and the white linen. I am happy with those decisions. If I had decided to quilt the white linen, I would have wanted white thread on the top and dark brown on the bottom and that would not have ended well! I think the plain white border helps to make the binding and the white background block centers stand out.
Here it is washed and ready to send to my daughter. I put a label on the back that I was very happy with because I was able to incorporate a little flower from the quilt pattern. I should have embroidered the label, but after sewing all that binding onto that minkee fabric…no way.